9.27.2009

Oatmeal Cookies and Carrot Muffins


Cooler weather is finally here and I've had a low-key weekend, so last minute flights of baking fancy are known to occur. In the true spirit of my name (Demetria, after Demeter, Greek goddess of the harvest), I used some of the bounty early fall provides. Dinner last night was roast chicken with carrots and potatoes tossed in the crockpot and allowed to go for several hours on high. The resultant stock will be used in potato leek soup.

As for the title of this entry, I have been craving a soft, chewy oatmeal cookie for a couple of weeks now. The past couple of recipes we've used resulted in disappointment. Not enough chew, insufficient spice. I was bound and determined to be satisfied this time. Thankfully, I was. They are flavorful and soft, with the added bonus of containing only 4 Tbs. of butter for the entire recipe. I changed the base recipe a bit, but only in that I added more spices. Below, I used approximations of what I did.

The carrot muffins were simply an idea I had and went hunting for something that would be substantial in flavor and, again, changed things around to suit me better. They came out of the oven maybe 20 minutes ago and Luke has already eaten 2. They are not overly sweet (which is why I included the original amount of sugar for those with a sweeter tooth) and would be wonderful with some butter and honey and a steaming cup of chai.

Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(350* 13-15 mins.
makes 3-4 dozen)
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. chunky applesauce (I used homemade)
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. raisins
1/2 cup nuts (I chose pecans)

Preheat the oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, cream melted butter and both sugars. To that add egg, applesauce and vanilla, stirring to combine. In a separate bowl, mix together remaining dry ingredients, including nuts and raisins. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until combined.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheets and bake for 13-15 mins. each. The centers should still be a bit soft, but the edges set. When done, allow to sit on the baking sheet for 5 mins. and then transfer to a wire rack to cool (if you can keep from eating them still warm).

Carrot Spice Muffins
(350* 15-20 mins.
makes 18 or so)

2/3 lb. carrots, grated
3/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. canola oil
1-2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
2 c. flour (I used half white, half whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. sugar (I used half brown, half white and reduced from 1 1/4 c. total)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each cloves, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 and grease or line a muffin tin. In one bowl, combine carrot, applesauce, eggs, oil and vanilla. In another, combine the dry. Add wet to dry and mix just until moist. Spoon into muffin tin and bake. When done, allow to sit in tins 5 mins. or so before allowing them to cool on a wire rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment