8.14.2009

Rustic Peach Tart



It's hot here in Wisconsin and, while I appreciate the fresh food of summer, I actually hate almost everything else about it. I'm guessing that this is due to the fact that I can't bake. I obviously tossed the no baking thing out the window yesterday, what with the muffins and all, but I loathe turning on the air conditioning and baking in upper-80s weather makes you have to.

Peaches are in season. I had to have some. I also had to bake with some. Initially I had planned to make a pie, but I didn't really want to invest that much time. Thus, a rustic (also termed free-form) tart. This can be done with any fruit or combination of things you want. I've done combinations of plum, raspberry and nectarine in the past.

Rustic Peach Tart
(425* for 45-55 mins.)

For the crust:

1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, shortening, lard (or combination thereof) cut into small pieces
1/8 - 1/4 cup ice cold water

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and drop bits of the chilled fat on top. With a pair of forks, pastry blender or your fingers work until you have the texture of coarse sand with some larger chunks here and there. Add water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until dough comes together. Form a disk and place in the refrigerator or freezer until firm.

For the filling:

1 1/2 lbs. fresh peaches
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract.

Wash and slice peaches and place them in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and toss gently. Let them sit until you are ready to use them.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and, when the crust is sufficiently chilled, roll out the dough into a rough 14" circle. Gently transfer the dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet and spoon the peaches and accumulated juice into the center, leaving a 2" - 3" border. Fold the edges up against the mound of fruit, pressing gently so the folds adhere to one another. Brush with cream and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 45-55 mins. or until the crust is golden brown and the visible juices are bubbly.

Serve warm or at room temperature with good quality vanilla ice cream.

This is the first time I've used this crust. I usually go with the America's Test Kitchen version which includes a bit of corn meal for stability. When slicing time comes, we'll see if it holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment