6.20.2009

Infused Vodkas

Luke and I attended the wedding of 2 longtime friends yesterday and it was just lovely! The ceremony was held in the assembly chambers inside the Capitol building in Madison with the reception held just across the street at Brochach (pronounced broka). I hadn't planned on drinking, really, but I was won over by the open bar and the spectacular pineapple infused vodka they had. I could have chosen to have it on its own, but I chose to mix it first with a little orange juice and then with Sprite. I stopped after 2, like the responsible driver I am.

Thinking to myself that we've got a decent sized party coming up and the seeming ease of making such a libation, I decided to give it a go. There are plenty of recipes out there for infused vodkas, but I decided to wing it. I dragged Luke out of the house this morning in search of a large container with a spigot, a fresh pineapple or 2, some farm fresh strawberries and some cheap but drinkable vodka.

Walking out of the grocery store with 2 1.75 liter bottles of vodka made me feel like quite the sot. They don't know me! They can't judge me! "This is in the name of culinary greatness!" I longed to scream. Keeping my mouth shut and my head down, I paid for my purchases and returned to the car.

Upon arriving home, I got to work. I chopped up one of the pineapples, not bothering to core it, tossed the pieces into the container, poured in one of the bottles of vodka and sealed it up. Now, it sits for a couple of weeks and hopefully, it will be spectacular.

Having a spare bottle of liquor and an empty mason jar, I also sliced up some of the previously mentioned strawberries and did the same thing with them.

2 comments:

  1. they sure look lovely! do you have a brita water filter? i heard it said you can make cheap vodka better by running to though one. i cannot verify this myself though. just spreading rumors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busted.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2006_season)#Vodka_Myths_III

    ReplyDelete